PREP TIME: 15 MIN (if using wild rice, it needs to soak overnight) | COOK TIME: 1 HOUR | SERVES: 4 BOWLS
Lemon-Ginger Chicken Soup
Meet Chef Amanda Chasten Short bio – Amanda Chasten is a food scientist, recipe developer and food photographer based in Marina, California. She is the owner of Amanda’s Inspired Kitchen, LLC and is passionate about creating nourishing recipes. She has several years of experience in product development in the food industry, including in chocolate, ice cream and fresh produce.
If there is a “Top Tip” place that content in here. If there is a “Top Tip” place that content in here. If there is a “Top Tip” place that content in here.
So fresh tasting and comforting, this soup can be enjoyed year round. To avoid soggy rice, store rice and soup in separate containers and combine right before you serve it. Great make-ahead soup.
- ½ pound chicken breasts
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons The Ginger People® Minced Ginger
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 stalks Lacinato or curly green kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup rice (white, brown or wild), cooked (if using wild, it needs to soak overnight)
- In a dutch oven, combine chicken breast, 3/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon ginger, 1 clove garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 2 sprigs thyme, 2 sprigs rosemary. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to medium low.
- Cook covered for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender and able to be shredded. Remove from liquid and shred.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to the package and set aside. For added flavor, cook rice in chicken broth with 1 tablespoon minced ginger.
- Reserve shredded chicken and cooking liquid and herbs in a bowl.
- In the same pot, heat tablespoon olive oil and add diced onion, celery, and carrot. Saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 2 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoons Minced Ginger, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and saute for 5 more minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, chicken and cooking liquid/herbs, and the chicken broth. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes.
- Add chopped kale to the soup and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove soup from heat. Remove sprigs of herbs.
- Fluff rice with a fork and scoop out into bowls in 1/2 – 3/4 cup portions. Ladle soup over rice. Serve hot.