Learning through travel, Abbie has eaten her way through nearly 60 countries. Australia, Finland, Morocco, Japan and France – a few of her culinary favorites. She’s passionate about taking ginger into unexpected places, while still revisiting the classics like her beloved Ultimate Chewy Ginger Snaps. Favorite culinary book: Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. Favorite moment with a fellow chef: Dinner with Julia Child, 1992. Actually, she was at the next table. We told the waiter, “We’ll have what she’s having.”
Dark and Stormy Cupcakes
♥ Staff Favorite –Winner of The Ginger People Cook-Off
Cocktail Cupcakes! How fun! These sweeties pay homage to the classic Dark and Stormy cocktail. Made with dark rum and ginger beer, these flavorful cupcakes have a confident kick of ginger. Did we mention cocoa? Whoa! It’s a winner.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup The Ginger People® Organic Ginger Syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 tablespoon The Ginger People® Organic Minced Ginger
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup granulated sugar (caster sugar)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb of soda)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2-3 tablespoons The Ginger People® Ginger Syrup
- Juice of half a lime
- 6 tablespoons The Ginger People® Crystallized Ginger, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan or microwaveable bowl. Stir in Ginger Syrup, water, rum and Minced Ginger.
- Whisk together egg and buttermilk.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir Ginger Syrup mixture into dry ingredients.
- Add the egg mixture and stir until well combined.
- Fill cupcake three-quarters full. Bake 16 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frosting: Beat butter with electric mixer until very light and fluffy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and ground ginger. Beat in just enough rum, Ginger Syrup and lime juice. Transfer to a frosting bag and frost the cupcakes. Top with Crystallized Ginger.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.