To slice potatoes evenly but not all the way through, place potato on a cutting board between two parallel chopsticks. Cut through potato until knife rests on the chopsticks. Multiply recipe for more servings and prepare in a large casserole dish.
Recipe by Rosemary Marks
Trained in culinary arts and food science, Rosemary Marks has worked with various food brands for over 30 years to expand their recipe libraries. Rosemary's 4 recipe As: Appealing flavors, Approachable everyday cooking, Achievable results and Accurately tested and written recipes. Favorite culinary book: Flour Water Salt Yeast. Favorite moment with a fellow chef: Flo Braker for her in-depth baking skills; and upcoming Top Chef contestant Nelson German for his ingenuity in blending cultures and food as an art form. @reciperose on Instagram.
Ginger Pecan Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
This good-looking sweet potato side dish is loaded with Ginger Syrup and Crystallized Ginger – double ginger yummy! Named Hassleback after the Stockholm restaurant Hasselbacken where they were first served. Make a few potatoes or a big batch for a holiday party. They potatoes re-heat well, too.
- 4 small 6oz sweet potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup The Ginger People® Ginger Syrup
- 1/3 cup The Ginger People® Crystallized Ginger, chopped
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly butter or oil a 2-quart (2L) casserole dish.
- Scrub sweet potatoes and pat dry, do not peel. Cut a thin lengthwise slice off one side of each potato. Place in casserole cut side down for each potato to sit flat on the dish. This also helps the slices to fan out while baking.
- Make crosswise cuts ¼-inch (1/2cm) wide using a sharp knife across the length of each potato, cutting nearly all the way through the potato, (see top tip below). Place potatoes in the dish on the thin potato slices.
- Brush potatoes liberally with olive oil or butter. Sprinkle with salt. Bake 35-45 minutes until tender and skin is browned. Reduce oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Stir together Ginger Syrup, Crystallized Ginger, pecans and cinnamon if using.
- Remove casserole dish from oven; spoon ginger topping over and between potato slices. Return to oven and bake 5-10 minutes until syrup is hot and bubbly. Serve warm or slightly cool.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.