Using a scale makes this recipe move really fast. Either bleached or unbleached flour is fine.
Learning through travel, Abbie has eaten her way through nearly 60 countries. Australia, Finland, Morocco, Japan and France – a few of her culinary favorites. She’s passionate about taking ginger into unexpected places, while still revisiting the classics like her beloved Ultimate Chewy Ginger Snaps. Favorite culinary book: Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. Favorite moment with a fellow chef: Dinner with Julia Child, 1992. Actually, she was at the next table. We told the waiter, “We’ll have what she’s having.”
Ultimate Chewy Ginger Snaps
♥ Staff Favorite – Winner of The Ginger People Cook-Off.
We love our ginger cookies a little puffy, soft and chewy, with plenty of ginger and spice! Slightly more or less flour will make a thicker or thinner cookie – adjust the flour to suit your preference.
- 2-1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour* (plain flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (bicarb of soda)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar (caster sugar)
- 1/4 cup dark molasses, preferably Black Strap
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup The Ginger People® Crystallized Ginger, (chop finer if you wish)
- 1/2 cup coarse raw sugar (turbinado sugar)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (170°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper, if desired.
- Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- Beat in molasses and egg.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Mix well.
- Chop Crystallized Ginger and stir into mixture. Chill dough one hour for easier handling.
- Form into 1-1/4 ounce (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch [3 cm]) balls. Roll balls in coarse sugar.
- Place two inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven while centers are still soft. Let stand 1 minute. Cool completely on baking sheet or wire rack. Crinkled tops form as cookies cool.
- Bonus! Ginger Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches: Smash one scoop of vanilla ice cream between two cooled Ginger Snaps. Press cookies together to sandwich the ice cream. Serve immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Repeat with additional cookies and ice cream.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.